We once again are faced with horrific news, this time deadly domestic terrorism in Las Vegas, Nevada. Maybe serious discussion on gun control will follow, and if so, we will attempt to present worthy discussion about it here. But in the meantime, there is still a monumental and life threatening post hurricane crisis in Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Florida and Houston.
If you want to help, please consider the:
One America Appeal, sponsored by our 5 living former Presidents.
**Political Action Huddle Meeting -
Please join us on:
-Thursday, October 5, from 5:30 - 6:30, at
-Not Your Average Joe's, 61 State Road, North Dartmouth, MA
If you plan to attend, please rsvp to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The goal for this meeting is for us, as a team, to establish direction and strategies for the upcoming year, both with all Marching Forward members, and with our partners in other progressive groups and local Democratic party organizations. Sure to be discussed are voter registration, and the all important 2018 elections.
**Mountainfilm is coming to New Bedford!
-Saturday, October 28,
-Cook Theater, New Bedford Whaling Museum
There will be a morning program for children (kids are free)
Afternoon and evening programs for adults.
Tickets and more information
This world renowned film festival is brought to you by our Environmental Huddle, in partnership with the New Bedford Whaling Museum and the Buzzards Bay Coalition. Tickets are selling fast, get yours here.
**The Healthcare Huddle has taken charge of our November meeting, and will present:
Everyone's Health Matters: What Health care could be for all,
-Featuring Dr. Michael Rocha
-Wednesday, November 8, 6:15PM
-Southworth Library, 732 Dartmouth St, South Dartmouth, MA
Dr Rocha, a local cardiologist, is familiar to many as a speaker on a wide variety of health and illness issues. Healthcare and health insurance are huge and complicated topics. While there's growing discussion about a single payer format, there is much to be learned. Dr Rocha will help us all to better understand this complex subject. In the meantime, the New York Times recently published this article that takes a stab at presenting some of the best health care programs the world over.
From our Huddles:
Budget and Tax Policy:
As we all know, Congress is moving toward major tax reform, and they're moving fast. This from Huddle leader Beppie Huidekoper:
"The house will be voting on a FY2018 budget resolution on Thursday. Please contact your congressperson as soon as possible and tell them to vote no.
Very deep cuts to safety net programs are proposed. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (a left-leaning think but very reputable think tank) does an excellent job explaining some of the deep cuts to safety net programs that the budget proposes.
Passing this budget also is the first step to use the partisan reconciliation process for their regressive tax reform bill."
See also the call scripts and explanations on budget and taxes from Indivisible in the links below.
Winners and Losers Under the Trump Tax Plan,
Wall Street Journal, September 27, 2017
Donald Trump's tax returns are about to come back with a vengeance.
CNN, September 29, 2017
First Amendment rights and fake news have been front and center recently. The Journalism Huddle has found these articles and videos to be particularly meaningful. Special thanks to Anne Price for sharing the video clip from her church in Baltimore. It is powerful, a stellar example of strong moral leadership.
Sunday September 24, St Ignatius Church, homily by Father James Casciotti.
After Las Vegas Shooting, Fake News Regains Its Megaphone,
New York Times, October 3, 2017
The civil rights and Vietnam protests changed America. Today, they might be illegal. Washington Post, September 24, 2017
How Fake News Turned a Small Town Upside Down. At the height of the 2016 election, exaggerated reports of a juvenile sex crime brought a media maelstrom to Twin Falls — one the Idaho city still hasn’t recovered from.
New York Times, September 26, 2017
And finally, from the hard working people at Indivisible, here's their take on the most important subjects of the week. (written before the Las Vegas shooting horror.)
Now, the Tax fight is on. Republicans are already gearing up for the next big fight: Trump’s Tax Plan (or as we like to call it on our new website, the Trump Tax Scam). Last week, the White House unveiled a six-page draft of a tax scam framework, building off their whopping one-page memo from this spring. Republicans are, once again, trying to ram this bill through using the budget reconciliation process just like they did with TrumpCare. Here’s what you need to know:
- The first step is the budget resolution. The House will vote on its budget resolution on Thursday and the Senate will mark up its resolution Wednesday and Thursday. Here’s the bottom line: these budgets cut critical services and would force deep cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security down the road. All to give massive tax cuts to the rich and corporations.
- We’ve got you covered. Be sure to read our explainer (think of it like Tax Policy 101!) and be sure to use our resources, call scripts, and town hall questions to begin organizing.
Your weekly Indivisible to-dos:
- Trump’s Tax Scam is here. Republicans are gearing up to attempt to ram tax cuts for millionaires and corporations through Congress on the backs of the middle class and low-income workers. Well, we’re ready to fight it and we’ve built out TrumpTaxScam.org with resources, call scripts, and town hall questions to help you prepare for next week's recess.
- Thursday night at 8pm ET/5pm PT: join our webinar to learn how to fight systemic oppression and white supremacy. We’ll be joined by an anti-oppression trainer, Chris Crass, to discuss important tools to fight white supremacy in our communities. RSVP here for the webinar.
- Put pressure on your Members of Congress to demand an emergency relief package for Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Our government is failing the people of Puerto Rico and the US. Virgin Islands. Visit our website, read our explainer, and put pressure on your MoC to provide an emergency relief package and permanently rescind the Jones Act.
- Demand a clean DREAM Act. This Thursday, October 5th, marks an important deadline for DREAMers who’ve received deferred deportation: it’s the last day to re-apply. Thursday, and every day, we’ll stand shoulder to shoulder with immigrants to #DefendDACA and demand a clean DREAM Act. Visit standup.indivisible.org to take action to support DREAMers now.
- Trump is a foreign policy disaster. Escalating tensions with North Korea and Iran. Slashing the number of refugees allowed in the United States. Expanding the Muslim ban. These bigoted, dangerous policies make us much less safe as a nation. Read more on the Indivisiblog and learn how to put pressure on your Member of Congress to stop Trump’s warmongering.
Indivisible Webinars and trainings:
For our first event in a new series of webinars and trainings, we’ll dive into a conversation about systemic oppression, white supremacy, and how these forces show up in our lives and our organizing with anti-racism trainer Chris Crass. There will be room for questions and discussion at the end.
When: Thursday, October 5th at 8pm ET/5pm PT
What: Webinar on fighting systemic oppression and white supremacy
Who: Indivisibles from across the country and anti-racism trainer Chris Crass